Halloween Sing Along

 Aside from films, I am a music lover. I'm not bound by one type of music, or one period. There is beautiful music to be found everywhere. I love Beethoven. I live for the Beatles. I am of the belief that one of the greatest bands of the 1960s was The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. I believe that one of the most creative bands around was 10cc. My first concert was Queen at the Spectum in Philadelphia. I managed to see The Ramones twice, David Bowie twice, Berlin & the Thompson Twins twice and The Moody Blues twice. I think Scott Joplin was one of the most creative geniuses of American Music History. And I think novelty records are underappreciated.

Which leads me to this subject. 

I have compiled a small group of Horror/Sci-fi themed Novelty Records just right for Halloween, for your listening enjoyment. I tried to steer clear of many of the usual faire for this time of year. So, if you want to hear "The Monster Mash" by Bobby "Boris" Pickett, you'll have to read someone else's blog. These are among my favorites that just don't get the proper airplay. 

Click on the picture and listen to some fun recordings that are of a monsterous nature. They sound so much better if you have a bowl of candy corn to dine on while you listen.

This first one goes out to all you Kaiju lovers. Here is Cornell Hurd and the Mondo Hot Pants Orchestra with "The Texas Behemoth".




The song "Psycho" was originally recorded by Leon Payne. It has been covered by a number of singers over the years, one of which was Elvis Costello on the album "Almost Blue". Here is an excellent version by Jack Kittel.





Rose and the Arrangement, or Possum, recorded the iconic song, "The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati". It would later be covered by The Misfits and a couple of full orchestras.



The one and only Nervous Norvus, who gave us great tunes like "Transfusion", "Ape Call" and "Noon Balloon to Rangoon", gives a taste of science fiction with an alien known as "The Fang".


To continue with the alien theme, here are The Ran-Dells with the story of an intergalactic dance, "The Martian Hop".


Herb Sage & the Spices gives us a live version of their classic tale about love gone wrong, "Cannibal Cutie".



Carrying on the Cannibal theme, sometimes, a father and son don't see eye to eye about dinner. Here's the music hall sounds of Flanders & Swann with "The Reluctant Cannibal."


In the 1940s, Phil Harris gave us "The Thing", which you'll never get of, no matter what you do. An updated version comes to us this thing from the brilliant minds of Barnes & Barnes, who gave us "Fishheads". Here's "Something's in the Bag."



Speaking of coming home from the Beatles concert....Jimmy Cross shows us that true love knows no boundries, with "I Want My Baby Back."



To finish, one of my favorite bands, They Might Be Giants, sing about the unusual things you might see if you just "Turn Around".



So, there you have ten songs to get you in the mood for that movie marathon you're thinking about for Halloween, or another Political Debate, whichever scares you more. I hope you enjoy them. 

I'd like to thank Dr. Demento. I spent many a Sunday night listening to his syndicated radio show while growing up. Without the good Doctor, I would never know the delights of such "laughing wax", as he called them. 
Stay Demented!! 











2 comments:

  1. Some nice, eclectic and obscure choices there, Ernie! I grew up on Dr. Demento as well. Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barry. I tried to stay away from the typical songs that everyone hears. A couple of these, like Texas Behemoth and Psycho are personal favorites. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete